Monday, March 25, 2013

Toaster Oven Challenge: Easter Cookies


I have a Moffat 1500 Gourmet from the 1960s that we inherited when we bought our bungalow.  It has this really cool eye level broiler and it's crazy old.   Anytime a new friend visits our home, eventually they ask about the broiler and the oven.   I'm quite sure that it's not very energy efficient so I am undergoing my very first toaster oven challenge.  Anything that I have ever made in the oven will have to go into the toaster oven instead.  My first challenge?  Cookies in the toaster oven.

I used my tried and true sugar cookie recipe (click here for the full recipe).  The only thing that I changed with the recipe was the bake time.   The original recipe requires you to bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes at 325F.  I baked them in the toaster oven for 20 minutes at 300F and turned the tray halfway through.  If you have a high end toaster oven, you probably won't need to turn the tray.

I made these cookies last year for Easter and the kids loved them so I decided to make some again for Joshie's friends at school. 


If you only need to make a small batch, don't freeze the dough.  Roll the dough, cut your shapes and place them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.  Pop the sheet in the freezer.  Once frozen, transfer the unbaked frozen cookie to an airtight container.  Whenever you want a fresh cookie, just take it out of the freezer, pop it in the oven, and you have a nice tasty cookie.


This time Baby Bunny helped me make the cookies.  It's so nice to have 2 helpers but it's also a lot messier.


Here's the finished product!


The bunny ones will be for his school friends.  All we need to do now is pop them into little treat bags, include a label, and some stickers.


Happy Easter everyone!!!

3 comments:

  1. They look so cute and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bunny ones will be for his school friends. All we need to do now is pop them into little treat bags, include a label, and some stickers.
    Toaster Oven Chicken Recipes

    ReplyDelete