Sunday, October 28, 2012

DIY: Scary Well from the Movie "The Ring"

Today I am sharing with you how we decorated the well in front of our house.  Actually, to be more specific, how HUBBY decorated our well for Halloween.  If you've seen the movie "the Ring" and were scared for weeks afterwards, you will appreciate this post!

Warning * - as this is hubby's work not mine, it's much more creepy vs cutesy.  I think it's even spookier because we don't have any cutesy pumpkins or things like that. 

 
I remember when I saw the movie in the theatre with my good pal A.  She left to use the washroom during one of the scariest parts of the movie.  When we went to see it, there were only 5 people in the theatre so I was suitably freaked out.

Here's the view that always makes me think there's a kid on my lawn. 


I think that the back is scarier than the front.  The side view is spooky too


The kids don't seem to mind our new visitor


Here's what you need:
1.  Long black wig
2.  Floral foam
3.  Batman Halloween bucket (we used it last year for trick or treating)
4.  Two hands (ours were from the Dollarama so both are lefties)
5.  Night dress and long sleeve shirt (ours was from the Salvation Army)
6.  Lots of plastic bags


How to make it:
1.  Gather your supplies
2.  Bring children with you to help build it so they aren't scared
3.  Cover Batman's mask with white masking tape so that the face is all one colour
4.  Attach the wig to the floral foam with a nail and place the hair in the Batman bucket
5.  Stuff the dress/long sleeve shirt with plastic bags and place in the well.
6.  Use the soil to help weigh it down so it doesn't fly away
7.  Insert hands into the shirt sleeves
8.  Position the head so that it is facing the street.  Voila, you are done!

So far we have not had any complaints, just a lot of compliments.   Personally, I will be happy when Halloween is over so I can get my flower well back.

Happy decorating!

9 comments:

  1. This looks scary!!!

    Great post.

    Ali @ http://www.azlifeandstyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, this is fabulous. I'm a big fan of the show "The walking Dead" and this looks like it is right out of that show.

    ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen the movie so I'm fine with the decoration. I bet it'll be very creepy on Halloween, especially if you focus a light on it once it gets dark. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This movie was so creepy! Your decoration is awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing! Best front yard I've seen this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learn some new stuff from it too, thanks for sharing your information. buy dvd endeavour season 5

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information. buy dvd the good fight season 1

    ReplyDelete